Dropbox is a very simple brand; when it comes to folder syncing you enjoy the privilege of simplicity. Did you know that the company has spent very little on marketing, yet it has become worth $4 Billion? You may want to know what has made their business so successful. Below are some of the techniques that the cloud storage company has used to be at the top of the game.
Friend Referral Program
Dropbox has perfected the art of networking with its clients to get more customers. With its attractive incentives, it has encouraged its users to tell one another about its amazing product. For example, Dropbox gives out 500MB increase to both its user and the person being referred to join when the signup process is pending.
Dropbox has grown to over a $12 billion company, yet they spend barely any money to advertise. So how do they account for this phenomenal growth? Social media incentives. Dropbox incentivizes users to share on social media by increasing the size of their accounts if they do. According to Dropbox, there are two types of incentives based on the plan.
- Dropbox Basic accounts earn 500 MB per referral, up to 16 GB
- Dropbox Plus and Professional accounts get 1 GB per referral and can earn up to 32 GB
While social media alone does not account for all the growth, it certainly helped.
Signup Driven Homepage
If you are a first-time visitor to the company’s website, you will notice the simple layout that lays the foundation for their entire product. If you don’t know how to use it, the 2-minute above-the-fold tutorial video guides you on Dropbox product, this is something the company has had since it began. Dropbox signup driven homepage has been its key marketing strategy.
Sharing with Simplicity
Dropbox makes it simple for you to share files with friends and family members. Both the sender and the receiver of the files have little to do, thus offering simplicity. Simplicity has assisted the company in getting more exposure and attracting potential users. This sharing feature is similar to Facebook’s ease of photo sharing but with the primary benefit of simplicity just for you. You can also check out the features and How Dropbox is Marketing here in our piece around the brand.
Availability on Multiple Platforms
The diverse nature of Dropbox marketing on all platforms makes it popular with so many people. You can access their products from anywhere and at any time.
Despite Dropbox building their product with little to no marketing budget, effective branding has played a crucial role in elevating the company. Here are some of the branding tips that Dropbox has used to boost their company’s marketability.
- Seeing branding all around you: Dropbox uses branding elements you may not be conversant with such as motion marks, smell marks, color marks, and sound marks.
- Seeing your brand as a promise: through identifying the client’s needs, Dropbox emphasizes on an expectation upfront approach. The products they deliver to you goes beyond financial benefits to meet every single customer touch point.
- Substituting reputation for brand: Dropbox has successfully capitalized on its reputation to build a strong brand. Reputation can be a stepping stone to greater heights if harnessed effectively. Dropbox brand has become a giant in delivering top notch cloud storage for your all your files.
- Customers as the central Dropbox asset: the company’s success has been through an amazing and supportive customer base. Two of the most efficient and inexpensive forms of marketing they have used are the word of mouth and an exemplary experiential marketing approach to real world activations.
Dropbox is the kind of company you can label a marketing genius. They have made it easy for you to store huge volumes of information by providing a superior customer experience. Once you experience what it offers, you can’t imagine how you could ever live without it.
Editorial Credit: Rawpixel.com / Shutterstock.com